What is VPS hosting? | ITProPortal
What is VPS hosting?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting is high powered hosting that dedicates a specified amount of RAM, storage, bandwidth, and other server resources to you and your project. In our guide to the best web hosting services, you will find various platforms offering great VPS hosting solutions.
What is VPS hosting for?
- Uses virtualization technology to split a physical server into many smaller VPS servers with their own dedicated RAM, storage, bandwidth and processing power
- Allows excellent configurability and flexible management options: Most VPS hosting services come with root access, which means they allow users to install and manage software however you want
- Provides a much higher level of security than shared hosting: Through the process of virtualization, VPS web hosting effectively segments different people using the same physical server, making it much less likely that problems with the hosting account will be one person affect the VPS of other users
- Offers an excellent level of availability and performance: because users have a specified amount of server resources allocated to them and their subscription, they can be assured that they will enjoy a high level of performance at all times
- Allows users to scale quickly and when needed: Most VPS hosts offer one-click scaling options, and some even use hourly billing to ensure users only pay for what they use
How Businesses Can Use VPS Hosting
Put simply, VPS hosting is an attractive option for businesses that need something a little more powerful than shared hosting, but can’t justify the cost of their own dedicated server. VPS hosting offers excellent versatility, the ability to scale as needed, and an allocated amount of server resources accessible to you and only you.
Many businesses will use VPS hosting to run their website or online store. High-end shared hosting may be a viable option for this, but it comes with a set of security and performance risks that many businesses just don’t want to take. With VPS, you can rest assured that your site and all associated information will be fully secure at all times.
Some companies also use VPS for secure file storage. Inexpensive VPS servers with a large amount of storage provide great options for safely storing server backups, important documents, and other files that you cannot afford to lose or compromise.
Another common use case is to test new web applications and other programs before making them available to the public. The combination of power and affordability makes VPS a popular option for this, especially among small businesses who cannot justify the higher price of a dedicated server.
Finally, a very small number of companies use VPS hosting to host game servers. Multiplayer games, such as Minecraft and Rust, allow you to create your own multiplayer games hosted on dedicated servers and accessible to hundreds of people at once.
Features and Benefits of VPS Hosting
How much does VPS hosting cost?
The price of a new VPS hosting subscription can range from a few dollars per month to hundreds or even thousands of dollars per month. How much you pay will depend on a number of factors including what server resources you need, whether or not you need technical server management, and how many additional tools are included with your subscription.
For example, Hostinger, one of our favorite versatile web hosting providers, has eight different VPS plans. At the lower end of the spectrum is the VPS 1 plan, which includes just 1GB of RAM, 20GB of SSD storage, and 1TB of bandwidth, for $ 3.95 per month (renewal at $ 8.16 per month). On the expensive side, a VPS 8 subscription starts at $ 77.99 per month (renewed at $ 219 per month) for 16GB of RAM, 250GB of SSD, and 12TB of bandwidth.
Another popular option is Hostwinds, which offers a selection of managed and unmanaged VPSs in Windows and Linux versions. His unmanaged Linux options Beach of $ 4.99 To $ 328.99 per month, and his managed linux hosting fresh between $ 8.24 and $ 395.24 per month. Windows VPS is a bit more expensive, with unmanaged options costing between $ 10.99 and $ 376.99 per month and managed solutions from $ 12.74 To $ 431.24 per month.
VPS hosting faq
What is a VPS server for?
A VPS is a step up from basic shared hosting. It is generally used by those who need an advanced web hosting solution that offers more power and security than budget shared hosting.
However, VPS hosting can be used for much more than just web hosting. If you are a developer, you can use your VPS to test new web apps and programs. Many people use VPS hosting to create game servers for games like Minecraft, while others use VPS for things like file storage or to back up their main server.
How much RAM does my VPS need?
How much RAM your VPS needs will depend on what you plan to use it for. If you need a fast, efficient server to do difficult tasks or handle a large number of website visitors, you will need more RAM. Likewise, if you’re just using your VPS for something like file storage, you should be able to get by with a lower amount.
For example, 1 GB or 2 GB should be sufficient if you are using a single website or a basic server. Large e-commerce stores will benefit from a higher amount, such as 4 GB. Small game servers can work with 1 GB or 2 GB, but we recommend that you go for an option with at least 4 GB or 8 Go.
Can you host a website on VPS?
Yes, you can host a website on VPS. In fact, website hosting is one of the most common uses for VPS servers. They offer more power and reliability than cheaper shared hosting options, making them a preferred choice among those who build large, high-traffic sites. Additionally, you can rest assured that when using VPS hosting, your website and its performance will not be affected by other sites occupying the same physical server.
What is the difference between VPS and dedicated hosting?
VPS and dedicated server hosting will give you access to a specified amount of RAM, storage, bandwidth, and processing power. A dedicated server is, as the name suggests, a physical server dedicated to you and your needs. A VPS is a virtual server, and there can be multiple VPSs on the same physical server.
Can I use VPS for games?
Yes, VPSs are a great option for gamers looking to build their own servers. Platforms like Hostinger offer specialized game hosting, including Minecraft hosting. There are also many companies that specialize in game hosting, including Shockbyte, ScalaCube, and MCProHosting.
- VPS hosting is more powerful than shared hosting, but much more affordable than high-end dedicated servers, making it a popular option among SMBs.
- One of the standout features of VPS hosting is the server virtualization process, which effectively eliminates any possible interaction between your sites and those of other users sharing the same physical server.
- With VPS hosting, you can do everything from building a new website and testing web applications to securely storing important files and data.
- The price of VPS hosting can vary widely, factors like the amount of server resources, level of management, and what operating system you need all impact costs.
- The scalability and configurability offered by VPS servers is excellent, ensuring you always have access to the server resources you need
Further reading on VPS hosting
If you’re interested in learning more, be sure to check out our guide to the best VPS hosting available today. You might like to know how VPS hosting relates to your business or what is the difference between Dedicated Servers and VPS.